Thursday, June 4, 2009

houston happenings



So, we are all moved in. it all began last friday. My parents (alan and lynn) came up friday morning as well as a couple friends of ours from houston to help us load up our UHAUL to get on down the road to houston. A HUGE thanks to you guys who helped us move!! It made our lives so much easier and there was less of a chance of ryan and I killing each other with witnesses around. :) So our house is in the Heights-ish area and it is perfect for us for what we need. We were in a 3 bedroom 2 full bath house in college station but have dowgraded to a 2 bedroom 1 1/2 bath here in Houston. I think it is perfect (and less space I have to keep clean) for ryan and I and the two mutts....who seem to have adjusted just fine since all they have done is sleep around everywhere the last few days. We are minutes from all the goodness of Houston but without all the city fuss which we enjoy.




Moving along, I took a few shots to show how we managed to fit all of our furniture into this place, it was a little work but after much compromise and puzzle working we got it to fit just right. In these photos the bedroom, bathroom and office are not included.....it is still all too messy for me to air publicly. YIKES! not to mention that we are working with the landlords to fix our a.c. It is all new duct work but appearantly when the contracter was to hook up all the loose ends to the main area he just decided to shove it all in the corner and seal it up. sweet, good job, you slob! So, the landlords have very politlely come over to rip the ceiling off and attatch all of the ducts to the main unit thinger. It is now blowing pretty nicely all throughout the house. phew. Otherwise we would have had a fatty a.c. bill! gotta love those texas summers. :) ANYWAY, that is enough about the house, the rest of it is quite nice and we haven't had any problems thus far. Did I mention we are in a much older house? We think it was built like in the early 50's ish time, so it has seen it's fair share of tennants. Ok, for real, here are the pics. enjoy.




This is the view from the front door. It is our sitting room or formal dining room, but really, who is that formal anymore? we hardly make it to the dinner table. so sad. NOTE, to the left is the office and to the right is the master bedroom (which will not be pictured)




This is the opposite view of the front room.





As you walk through the front room you enter the kitchen. Yes, it has no cabinet doors. I have always wanted to have a kitchen like this and I have already decided I will ALWAYS select cabinet doors. :) yes, it only took me 5 days to make this decission but what you have has to always look like pottery barn kitchens (yea, right.) and the empty space you have to decorate. Really, who decorates their cabinets when you have doors......yea, something to think about huh?! haha. anyway, I do like them though, I just won't buy a house with a kitchen like this. :)



If you turn around from the kitchen you see this room. Our living room. It's pretty sweet and nice and open. Not to mention its like 5 feet from the fridge. YESSSS!
If you were to sit on our couch there in the living room and take a look to your left you would see this beautiful built-in bookcase that takes up the entire wall. Not gonna lie it's the perfect place for me to put on display my photo addiction. I told you I had a problem :) haha jk. We bashed out a couple shelves to fit the TV in there but I think ryan enjoyed that part of taking his aggression out because of my annoyance. Luvs ya huns! ANYway, I love this room. It's homey and sweet and guests will get to see all the fun pics we have of us and family through the years. Now, i need more frames. Straight off that amazing bookcase is the dining room. We have some more art to hang an such so it looks pretty sloppy. Don't judge. It's only been 5 days.
Ok, now brace yourselves kids. this backyard is one. hot. mess. !!! But it has quite the potential. We will be renovating our first backyard this summer. cross your fingers folks, this could be a sight to see. We are just renting but the landlords said, do WHATEVER you want. and so we will. Our plan: rip everything out but the gorgeous gigantic red oak and level it and then lay some new sod. the pups will love it. I can't wait to get dirty.

:THE DETAILS:

We are in an older house and the landlords have kept it antiqued for the most part. Which I love, for some reason it reminds me of Nana's house (my mom's mom) maybe its the smell of an old house and the fact that there are more random closets and doors than we know what to do with. HA. Oh, back in the day they certainly must not have had much of a wardrode, the bedroom closets are TINY. Ryan and I have made many compromises and agreements with the closet space. To give you an idea of what we are dealing with here, at the old house I had 2 walk-in closets FULL of bags, shoes and clothes. Here, I have 1 closet that is half the size of one of the closets at the old house. Let's just say I have cleaned out my closet and have nothing left that I am willing to sacrifice.....and getting there was tough. Ok, moving on, this is getting entirely too long. ugh. SO, what I like most about this house is that they have kept some old door knobs and have cute little handles for everything like you would find in an older home. These are my fave.

and this is roofus, our guard dog. he is the best ever. never had one accident and he always stays close to home. sweet boy.
Now that you are all asleep and bored with my longwindedness, I hope all is well with the rest of ya's. I can say that ryan and I are 100% happy to be back in houston. we are now closer to work, friends and some family. Thanks again to mom's and dad's who helped load, unload and clean both houses! So very much appreciated. Now, we are off to watch the red wings with some friends.

7 comments:

Eric said...

Moving is always a pain. Glad you had help! That will be so fun for you to be back in Houston and closer to everything you love.

Carrie said...

i LOVE the old house. i love the knobs, the built-in, the doorless cabinets, the stone floors in the dining room, the yard (the fact that you have one). that house looks like so much fun. i love old vintage styles. i sometimes find myself wishing we lived in an OLDER house. what's wrong with me? i like that our place is new but sometimes i wish it had a little more character.

glad you were able to move in alright and get the ac problem fixed. it's nice to get all settled and have a home again!

taryn said...

I'm dying for those bird knobs. I would LOVE to have something like that in my little girl's baby room! The house is looking so good!

Unknown said...

Aw Danielle I am so happy you posted pics of you guys all moved in! The house definitely has a lot of character and sounds like it is in a great location. We miss you guys already...and are glad yall didnt kill each other while moving in! haha :)

AmyJ said...

love the new house! I love the "details" too. Glad you're all moved in! Bet y'all feel better.

KMB said...

I am biased but I sure do LOVE you guys living 2 miles from us! :) We already got in trouble how many times and you have only been here for one week?!!!

AmyJ said...

it TOTALLY looks like Coop's seat is on fire-hahaha. Whoops!