Thursday, July 16, 2009

would you be my neighbor??

Since we have been living back in Houston we have gotten to know our neighbors quite well. We have Bill and Helen who live across the street from us, Matt and Alexis who live next door to us and Mrs. Angie who lives caddy corner (sp?) to us. Our nieghbor on the other side of our house owns the house but rents it out and it is currently vacant.
As time has passed by our friendships with our neighbors has grown. I think it is really neat that in today's society, where most people couldn't even tell you who lives next door to them, that we are so blessed to have such a nice, warm and welcoming neighborhood.
We have had the low down on past and current relationships, old neighbors, crime that has happened in the past....which is still quite minimal, children, health scares and successes, best nail/massage/and other beauty salons near by, best eats close to our house and of course the happenings of today.
Ryan and I have spent many afternoons either in the front lawn with Matt and Alexis just chatting it up or on the porch with Bill and Helen shooting the breeze (Bill is retired, Helen is semi-retired). Mrs. Angie usually ends up making an appearance and joins the conversation. She is a sweet, sweet lady! She is in her 80's and still mows her own lawn, which she is quite particular about as well. So cute.
Anyway, one day as we were talking about food and Mrs. Helen said that she makes this mud pie cake that is just to die for. We then told her that next time she makes it to let us know because we would certainly like to try it. This week, she made it, took a few pieces for her and bill and then brought the rest to us.

It's the best MUD PIE I have ever had!!
(which is a lot for me to say since I am not a "sweets" person!)

So good in fact that I took a few pics for you all to enjoy.



Looks good huh?!?
Ryan and I feel so truly blessed to have these people as our neighbors not only cause they are nice and bring us sweet treats but because they are what good neighbors are supposed to be. So many times we are taught to treat our neighbors kindly and many times we think we are too busy to stop by and say hello or just wave good morning to them. I think that we all need to take a little extra time to enjoy the lives that surround us....you never know how they may help you in the future.
So, be nice to your neighbors and get to know them. Trust me, it's fun.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

we've been able to get to know our neighors too and it really does make you so happy to make those connections and grow to love the people around you. and it's comforting to know that someone will be there for you if you need them.

AmyJ said...

I agree! I love my neighbors too (except when their dogs crap in our yard-then I hate 'em). In our neighborhood everybody helps everybody (the other day my accross the street neighbor was mowing his grass, and it was about to rain, so his next door neighbor got his mower and ran over and started helping him mow--nice, huh??, and we all put our yards and sprinkling systems in together, helping eachother every night.

Anyway...I'm with ya. Neighbors are great :)

Tastes Kinda Minty said...

Yeah! I am so glad that you have good neighbors! We have some great ones here too. It is so good to get to know them and know that they will be there to help you out if you need. The cake looks so good! Now you need to get the recipe and share it with us!

Eric said...

We love our neighbors too! Well, most of them anyway. I agree with Aunt Becky...get that recipe and pass it on!

KMB said...

AMAZING mud pie and I dont even like sweets! :)