Tuesday, November 4, 2008

christmas time already?!

WARNING: I am just venting so please do not perceive me as being a grumpy little lady sitting on my couch typing away with a scrunched up face and bitterness towards the holidays. :) 

Today, I heard Christmas music playing on our radio at work and this was the thought that came to mind.

"Is it really necessary to already have our entire Christmas setup done? I didn't even get a Halloween!"

 Working in the retail rat race I feel that sometimes we get ahead of ourselves and lose track of where we are in the “here and now.” For instance, Last Friday I finalized my entire Christmas setup. That's right, 2 months before Christmas I was christened by the big folks who ran through my department and sprinkled us with their holy water. Of course it took me two weeks and only 17,000 floor moves; but in those two weeks I feel like I missed Halloween. In my haste of trying to get everything ready and my mind spinning in circles over what goes where, I lost track of where I was in real life. I was approaching the last days of October with Halloween around the corner ....needless to say we didn't have much planned. We were able to scrounge up some plans in the last minutes with some good friends of ours and we had a lot of fun but I am most sad that we weren't able to really plan a fun costume or have a party of our own :(  So, here I am now, in the first week of November and today for the first time hearing Christmas music on our radio at work.

I am beginning to sound whinny and that is not my intention. I can only say that I wish all retailers would take the holidays one at a time. Celebrate each of them, separately, by themselves. Instead of having their entire Christmas setup blasting through the store before you can even say "trick or treat." I think that the Holidays are a time to really sit and enjoy the time we have together, be goofy and dress up like goons, give thanks for what we have and what has been given to us, to celebrate families and the time we have together. I wish the retailers saw it all from another perspective, for the sake of sanity amongst the associates and to give them time to think twice about their life outside of work. I love the holiday season and get so excited when this time of year comes around, but I just want some actual time to truly enjoy each holiday. 

I guess I just need to keep a better eye on what is really happening as it is happening and not just what is happening in the land of Macy’s. 

3 comments:

Carrie said...

i know what you mean. Christmas IS my favorite time of year, but i like to be able to enjoy EVERY holiday. i think we need to wait until thanksgiving is over, to start celebrating christmas.

this time of year is so exciting because there are so many fun holidays, and things to do, but you don't want to just skip over half of it or you'll miss out.

Eric said...

Let it out girl! Eric and I were just talking about this the other day. We were talking about how Thanksgiving has become all about Christmas too. I bet if you ask people what they do for Thanksgiving they mention shopping on Black Friday for Christmas gifts.

Kristi said...

I concur.